The city of Glendale will host its annual Armenian genocide commemorative event at the Alex Theatre on April 24 at 7 p.m.
This year’s theme for the event, “The Armenian Experience Through the Lens,” celebrates the 100th anniversary of Armenian cinema, as declared by the Armenian Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports.
This year’s program will consist of curated segments for attendees. The program will commence with a tribute to the ongoing atrocities in Artsakh, reflecting the city’s commitment to raising awareness of the humanitarian crises. There will be a preview of Armenia’s submission to the 2023 Oscars Best International Film category, “Aurora’s Sunrise.”
Joe Manganiello, a celebrated actor, producer, director, published author and Emmy-winning voice actor, will be the keynote speaker. Manganiello will discuss intergenerational trauma, drawing from his familial history and the story of his maternal great-grandmother, Terviz “Rose” Darakijan, who survived the Armenian genocide.
Separately, the Week of Remembrance, from April 16 to April 25, will feature satellite events and screenings across the city to honor the memory of those who perished and recognize the resilience of those who survived.
The schedule for the Week of Remembrance events include:
• Sunday, April 16: Celebrating 100 Years of Armenian Cinema: Vigen Chaldranyan’s “Alter Ego”; 7 p.m. at AMC Americana at Brand 18. To reserve a spot visit, eventbrite.com/e/celebrating-100-years-of-armenian-cinema-vigen-chaldranyans-alter-ego-tickets-570284084047
• Monday, April 17: Slam Poetry Night; 7 p.m. at Brand Library & Art Center
• Wednesday, April 19: The Craft of “Aurora’s Sunrise” with Inna Sahakyan; 7 p.m. at Glendale Central Library. To reserve a spot, visit eventbrite.com/e/the-craft-of-auroras-sunrise-with-inna-sahakyan-tickets-586129016667
• Thursday, April 20: Film screening of “Songs of Solomon”; 7 p.m. at AMC Americana at Brand 18
• Monday, April 24: The Armenian Experience Through the Lens, Glendale’s annual Armenian genocide commemorative event; 6 p.m. at the Alex Theatre
• Tuesday, April 25: Film screening of “The Other Side of Home”; 7:30 p.m. at the Alex Theatre
First published in the April 8 print issue of the Glendale News-Press.