HomeLettersResidents Need to Protest Sanitation Fees

Residents Need to Protest Sanitation Fees

First published in the Jan. 28 print issue of the Glendale News-Press.

Extremely important: The Glendale City Council has extended the vote on the sanitation fee rate hike to Jan. 31. Protests are needed from more than 50% of Glendale homeowners and renters.
The opportunity to protest is Tuesday, Jan. 31. Protesters must arrive at City Hall by 6 p.m. Tuesday. Residents can also attend the City Council meeting at 6 p.m. to voice their protest; however, they must also submit protests in writing, as well.
Unless contested, Glendale’s solid waste rates will almost QUADRUPLE (358%) over the next 5 years:
Date of Increase New Rate as a Percentage of 2022 Rates
2/1/2023 182%
7/1/2023 228%
7/1/2024 285%
7/1/2025 308%
7/1/2026 333%
7/1/2027 358%
All Glendale homeowners: Please take the time to file a protest in order to stop this proposed quadrupling of your Glendale solid waste rates.
How to Protest The Proposed Rate Increase: If you are the owner of record of a parcel(s) subject to the proposed solid waste rates or any tenant directly responsible for the payment of solid waste services provided by the city, you may submit a written protest against the proposed solid waste rate increase. If written protests are filed by a majority of the affected property owners, the proposed solid waste rate increase will not be imposed.
Any written protest must:

  1. State that the property owner or tenant is in opposition to the proposed rate increase.
  2. Provide the location of the identified parcel (by Assessor’s Parcel Number and street address), and
  3. Include the name and original signature of the property owner or tenant submitting the protest. If the party signing the protest is not shown on the last equalized assessment roll of Los Angeles County as the owners of the parcel(s), the protest must contain, or be accompanied by written evidence that such party is the owner, or the tenant, of the parcel(s).
    Written protests regarding the proposed new solid waste rate increase may be mailed to: City of Glendale, City Clerk, 613 East Broadway, Room 110, Glendale 91206. Written protests may also be personally delivered to the City Clerk at this address. To be valid, a protest must be in writing and received (not postmarked) by the City Clerk prior to the close of the public hearing on Jan. 31.
    Oral, telephonic and email protests will not be accepted. Because an original signature is required, emailed, faxed and photocopied protests will not be counted. Oral comments provided at the Public Hearing will not qualify as a formal protest unless accompanied by a written protest.

Richard Lee

Most Popular

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=3]